Online College Admissions System (OCAS) is built to provide easy, convenient, efficient and reliable access to students for admissions in the government colleges for higher education. The solution is based upon a collaborative relationship between Higher Education Department, Nine (9) Boards of Intermediate and Secondary Education (BISE) of Punjab, Bank of Punjab and Punjab Information Technology Board (PITB).
BISE matriculation data of students is uploaded into the system which enables the candidate to access the system by entering only minimum set of information (Matric Roll Number, BISE, Year and Session). Candidates can apply to a particular college/ program through a simple online form. In addition to this, they can download and print their application fee slip through the system. Applications get validated in the system, only if, application processing fee of Rs 25 has been paid at any branch of Bank of Punjab.
Key objectives of the system are to:
- Reduce the number of physical visits of students and their parents to colleges as the admissions process gets underway
- Keep the admissions process transparent
- Considerably reduce the application compilation and merit list preparation time
- Offer citizens (students as well as parents) a key online citizen service that can help them save enormous amount of time and expense during the admissions process
Following are the salient features of the system:
- 24/7 access. Apply from any place with internet access – no more queues
- Pay application fee (Rs 25 per program) via network of the bank branches across Punjab
- Track admissions application status via college website
- Integration with BISE results, minimizing data entry and reducing errors
- Dedicated helpline, online help guides and complaint system to facilitate the students
- Based upon reliable, scalable, secure and internationally proven technological platform
This is first and unique endeavor of its kind in Punjab, utilizing a citizen-centric approach to service delivery and revenue collection. The model can indeed help government streamline many critical Government to Citizen (G2C) operations and services as well as revenue collection.